Wednesday, March 5, 2008

My new friend.. Peter.

Peter has popped up quite a bit lately.
On my last trip to Hamilton, I visited a church. The message revolved around Acts 10.

Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."
"Surely not, Lord!" Peter replied. "I have never eaten anything impure or unclean."

Acts 10:13-14
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=acts%2010&version=31

In my notes, I had written - Peter thinks he has a right to tell God what to do.
Followed by - Holy Spirit changes are painful. Listen to the Spirit!!

This weekend at Westside and again tonight at our prayer meeting, we walked through Matthew 14 and... again came Peter.

22Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. 23After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, 24but the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.
25During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear.
27But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."
28"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."
29"Come," he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"
31Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"
32And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew%2014;&version=31

Quite a few things have struck me in this passage.
Since Sunday, I have repeated this scene in my head, reread the passage and even told others the story. The big step of faith taken by Peter, his doubt causing him to sink, and then Jesus reaching out His hand.

A glimpse of some of my Sunday notes:
It is not about 'Why don't you get it?' It's about 'Why don't you do it?'
Just take a step.
Act on what you believe. Act on what you know.
Just take a step.
Jesus tells us: 'Give me what you have and watch me make wonders with it'
Just take a step.

Tonight, I saw even deeper..
24but the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it. 25During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake.

You may think you have gone too far astray, led away because of the waves & the wind... Jesus will come meet you.

31Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him.

Immediately!! Jesus is never far away. Call on the Lord. Ask Him to save you. And He is immediately there. You may not always hear Him, feel Him.. but he is right there. I had once written that God's 'clutch' is stronger than mine... and it is. He will grab hold of my hand when I feel like I'm drowning and catch me.

32And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."

Wow. When the wind died down.. When the storm passes.. When you are back, safe on the boat... Hindsight!! You will say.. Truly you are the Son of God. In hindsight, you will see God's work.

As I think of this scene, I imagine... Peter takes his first step onto the water. Imagine what a step that must of been!!! As he steps out, his eyes are intensely fixed on Jesus. And then for a split second.. he looks down.. He thinks.. this is crazy.. this is impossible.. I can't do this... The water which a moment before felt like concrete, dissolves to water again and he sinks...
The beauty of it is that Jesus grabs him! I love that He does not let him drown. Love that even though Peter doubted, since he called on the Lord to save him, Jesus pulled him back up.
This shows me that I can't do it my own. This proves to me that I don't have to!! I took the step. Jesus is still there. When I cry out.. Lord help me.. he is there reaching out His hand.












No comments: